This gallery contains 16 photos.
Today it was time to transplant the tobacco once again.
Have a nice day 🙂
This gallery contains 10 photos.
A rainy day is a great opportunity to visit the garden center to gather some new supplies for my indoor gardening activities.
Observing the rain hitting the windshield is a great experience. Especially when you’re not the one driving.
Some funky looking cacti at the garden center.
Final result of the trip. 40l organic potting mix, perlite, leca clay balls, some pots and some nice woven basket trays for the windowsill garden.
I started by filling with a layer of leca balls in the bottom of the trays. In hope that it will give me better drainage.
Then a layer of potting mix/perlite before putting in the plants.
Leek, chive, thyme and stevia in this one.
Thyme and red basil.
I’m very much looking forward to that red pesto.
My cherry tomato plants have gotten potbound. And since my kitchen already was covered with soil and perlite, this was a good opportunity to re-pot them as well.
The old pots where 14cm in diameter, so I transplanted from the 4 smaller pots into two larger 28cm pots. I think they want even bigger pots, but I don’t really have any space left, so I might have to do some thinning and let the strongest plants grow on.
I’m not very skilled at baking anything. But these actually turned out better than expected.
I pretty much eyeballed everything, but this are the ingredients that I used (at least the ones I remember):
Powdered garlic, basil and salt
Sunflower and flax seeds roasted in sesame oil
Psyllium seed husks
Filled with: Roasted cherry tomatoes. Leek. More sunflower and flax seeds. Salt and black pepper. And some thyme fresh from my grow tent.
Yes I did eat the ends of raw dough.
Brushed on some egg before baking. But I don’t think it was really necessary.
Anyways, have a nice day 🙂
Only six days after transplanting my tobacco seedlings into new pots, and it looks like they already needs a new home.
The last week have been somewhat moody visiting my grandmother at the hospital where she is preparing for her last journey.
Such times brings up the existential questions of life. It’s very easy to get carried away, searching for answers to these questions.
This can quickly get mentally exhausting, so looking for the meaning of life on earth rather that our existence can help us feel a bit more grounded, and let the existential questions rest for awhile.
Working with plants, digging in soil, getting our hands dirty and helping new life emerge, are one of the best ways to take roots in reality and getting real a feeling of groundedness.
So let’s get started!
I didn’t feel for going to the store to buy new pots today, so I took some old yoghurt containers and used my Dremel to make some drainage holes in them. Reuse karma points right here!
The plastic shavings tends to stick to everything so I did put them in a paper container to minimize the mess.
I was going to use ~30% Vermiculite mixed with organic potting soil mix, but I was short on vermiculite so I used some Perlite in there too.
I think the mix came out pretty good. Just had to use some time breaking up the soil lumps.
I was a bit worried about how I would get the plants out from their old pots, but it turned out to be no problem at all.
I just had to wiggle them a bit, and press on the sides of the pot to release the soil, and each one came out in one piece.
Now that is one beautiful plant! I was surprised of how developed the roots had become in just 6 days.
Getting them into their new homes was no problem at all. After transplanting I do like to moisten the new soil from the top. Here I’m using my Sriracha hot sauce bottle which works great for doing this.
At some point I think I’ll need to supplement them with some additional nutrients. So any suggestions for an organic fertilizer rich in nitrogen, either home made or store bought would be very much appreciated!
That’s all for now. Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave a comment.
Have a nice day!
Today I have been transplanting the fittest seedlings from my starting trays into some larger pots.
After almost one month with a lot of thinning (unexpected high germination rate on the organic Virginia tobacco seeds I bought of eBay), the remaining seedlings looks very strong and healthy.
Soon they’re ready to go back into my grow tent and enjoy the precious lumens.
It’s getting darker for every night here now. So I dug my LED LENSER M7R flashlight out of my closet.
However. I couldn’t seem to find the charger anywhere around..
And since I wasn’t sure if the charging circuitry was embedded in the flashlight itself or in the charger, I did a mini teardown before trying to hook it up to my PSU (in fear of damaging the battery).
It turns out the charging circuit is embedded in the back of the flashlight on a small circular PCB (sorry for no pictures).
There was, I think, 2 ICs on the PCB. But I could only read the markings on one of them without desoldering the springterminal.
It turned out to be a LM3658 (marked L111B on IC) from TI:
I gave it 5V with current limit at 600mA from my lab PSU. And it went into Pre-qualification mode, drawing 50mA, for a couple of minutes, before going into constant current charging mode at 540mA.
Center is positive (5V) and outer ring is negative (0V).
This might not be useful information for anyone, but you never know.